The GoPro Hero 8 are revered action cams with live picture stabilizer and waterproof capability. It’s easy to use and intended for recording everything from family gatherings to extreme sports. The GoPro 8 are not just one of the best action cameras on the market; it is also being used by professionals who need that little extra push when creating amazing videos at home or on the move.
However, despite their cripy 4K picture quality, GoPro 8 sometimes just wont turn on all of a sudden. With most Gopro Hero 8 Users complaining about their action camera not turning on or recharging, we decided to take a look at some of the most common problems and quick fixes available for such problems.
Why Gopro 8 won’t turn on:
As a general guide, the GoPro 8 action camera will not turn on if the battery is not charged or seized, bad camera setting, water damage, firmware update glitches, bad(corrupted) media storage SD cards, or overheating.
How to Fix the GoPro 8 Not Turning On:
If your GoPro camera won’t turn on due to any of the possible reasons mentioned above, you will need to try out the following methods in order to get it up and running.
1. Fixing Your GoPro 8 That Is Not Turning On Due To Not Charging:
If your camera is not turning on or showing signs of charging when plugged into a computer/charger, you will need to check the following:
- First, make sure your GoPro 8 is charging when a charger is plugged into the charging port. You can still try to turn it on while it’s charging, but if the camera boots up when plugged in without being fully charged, then you should remove and reinsert the battery into the slot (or power cable) properly to see if that does anything for you.
- If the Gopro 8 camera does not turn on when plugged into a computer or charger then you will need to consider it damaged and may need replacing if it is still under warranty.
2. Fixing Your GoPro 8 That Is Not Turning On Due To The Battery Being Seized:
If your camera shows no sign of life or charging when plugged in, and there is no apparent reason for your GoPro 8 camera to not turn on, then you will need to remove the battery from the device and try charging again.
If this does not work, consider replacing the battery with a new one to see if that helps. If it does not help or fix your problem, please contact customer service or your retailer.
3. Fixing Your GoPro 8 That Is Not Turning On Due To Bad Camera Settings:
If your GoPro is not turning on and there are no hardware faults (i.e. charging issues, faulty battery), you will need to check the camera settings that may be preventing it from booting up or activating.
You can try the following if this applies to you:
– Reset all settings to factory default.
Go to the main menu and “settings” and then “reset factory defaults”. After this, go to the menu again and change the date and time settings to match your current location.
If none of these options resolve your GoPro 8 camera not turning on issue, please contact customer service or your retailer.
4. Fixing Your GoPro 8 That Is Not Turning On Due To Water Damage:
Water damage for outdoor action cameras like the Go Pro Hero8 is not uncommon. So, if you suspect your Gopro has water/liquid damage, even if the camera was not submerged in liquid or exposed to a large amount of rain while filming outdoors, you will need to try and remove the battery from the compartment and let it dry for a couple of days, and then try turning the camera on again.
If this does not fix your GoPro 8 that is not turning on issue you will need to contact customer service or your retailer for further assistance.
5. Fixing Your GoPro 8 That Is Not Turning On Due To Media Storage Card Corruption:
Corrupted media storage card(s) are also common problems, and you will need to check the following:
- If your GoPro 8 action camera is not turning on due to corrupted or faulty storage cards , first, try removing the media card from the camera and see if it boots up without a problem. This will confirm whether your problem is with your SD card and/or your camera.
- If your GoPro 8 is not turning on with the SD card in it, you will need to reformat the storage media in order to get it working again. To do this, you will have to remove the SD card from the device and insert into a computer that has an SD card slot or use another device capable of formatting cards (i.e. GoPro camera or other device).
- – You should reformat the media card, instead of deleting the contents if possible, because this will make sure that you don’t lose anything important such as videos and photos by accident when using your computer to format it.
- You should also try reformatting the media card in different devices (i.e. computer) if possible, or with different formats (FAT32 vs exFAT), to see if this makes any difference in getting your GoPro 8 action camera working again.
- If you reformat the card and it does not fix the problem, you will need to contact customer service or your retailer for further assistance.
6. Fixing Your GoPro 8 That Is Not Turning On Due To Faulty Battery or Charger:
A faulty or damaged battery and/or charger may also result in a camera that is not turning on. If your device shows no sign of life when plugged in to a power source but you can hear the fan running, then this means that the battery is faulty and needs to be replaced.
If your GoPro 8 is not turning on due to a faulty battery, please contact customer service or your retailer for assistance as this does require replacing the battery and/or charger for your device.
7. Fixing Your GoPro 8 That Is Not Turning On Due To A Software Issue:
A software issue is a less common problem, but usually one that needs to be looked at if none of the above solutions work.
If your GoPro 8 action camera is not turning on due to a buggy or corrupt update for the device’s firmware, you will need to check online and see if there are any available updates for your device. Many times, GoPro releases software updates that fix bugs or errors with the device.
If there are no available software updates for your device, you will need to contact customer service or your retailer for more help on getting the camera working again.
8. Fixing Your GoPro 8 That Is Not Turning On Due To Water Damage:
If you suspect your device has water damage, even if it was not submerged in liquid or exposed to a large amount of rain while filming outdoors, you will need to try and remove the battery from the compartment and let it dry for a couple of days, and then try turning the camera on again.
If this does not fix your GoPro 8 that is not turning on due to water damage issue you will need to contact customer service or your retailer for further assistance.
So, those are the most common reasons why a GoPro 8 not turning on and how to fix these issues. If your camera is still not working after trying each of the suggestions above, please do feel free to leave a comment below so we can help you resolve the issue.